It happens to the best of us, hair dye stain. Accidents happen and so does accidentally getting hair dye on a loved clothing item. Hair dye happens to be one of the toughest stains to remove. Don’t let it ruin your day, here are some tips to get the hair dye color out of your clothing.
Firstly, check the label. There are some chemicals that cannot be used on particular clothing. If your label says Dry Clean only that means you need to bring it in to your Greenville dry cleaning professionals as soon as possible.
Tips to remove brown, black, or blue hair dye out of washable clothing.
- Rinse the stained fabric with cold water or pour rubbing alcohol over it to remove any large area of dye. If it is a larger area of dye, you can use a dull knife or credit card to scrape the excess dye.
- Apply stain removal or liquid detergent to the stained area and scrub with a clean white cloth or a soft bristle brush. Allow it to sit on the dye stain for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl or sink with cool water and add a color safe bleach. Let the clothing soak overnight, up to 8 hours.
- If needed, repeat steps 2 and 3 before washing.
How to remove red dye out of washable clothing.
- Rinse the stained fabric with cold water or pour rubbing alcohol over it. As previously mentioned, you can use a dull knife or credit card to scrape any large area of dye.
- Mix a solution of 1 quart of water, 1/2 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid, and 1 tablespoon of ammonia in a non mental container. Soak the stained fabric area for 15 minutes.
- Scrub the dye stain with liquid laundry detergent and soak again. Remove the clothing from the solution and rinse well. Do you still see the stain? Repeat the process.
- If you are working with a hard to remove stain, you may want to try a different solution. Mix 1 quart warm water and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Soak for 30 minutes.
The faster you are able to act on the stain the better the results will be! Don’t give up trying to remove the hair dye stain from your clothing. You may need to repeat these steps several times to get the stain out.
As always, our dry cleaning professionals are here to help however we can. Contact us for more information on our dry cleaning services.